These blueberry scones are the perfect treat to satisfy any sweet tooth craving! Their delectable flavor and tender texture make them a delicious addition to any breakfast or brunch table. The recipe is simple to make and can be whipped up in no time with only a handful of ingredients.
- In a large bowl, combine the granulated sugar, sifted flour, baking powder, salt, and butter to create the base of the scone dough.
- Cut in the butter using a pastry blender until the mixture looks like coarse meal.
- Add the blueberries, stirring until each one is coated in the flour.
- Then, in a small bowl, whisk together the egg, heavy cream, and vanilla extract, which will further bind the ingredients and add flavor to the scone.
- Once the dough is formed, place it on a floured surface and knead gently for 5-6 times – no need to overwork the dough.
- Pat it into a 9-inch circle about 3/4 inch thick, then cut it into 8 even wedges.
- Place the wedges onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Brush the tops with heavy cream and sprinkle with coarse sugar before baking.
- Bake at 400F/200C for 15-18 minutes, or until they are golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center of a scone comes out clean.
- Once the scones are done baking, let them cool for 10 minutes before sprinkling them with a little extra coarse sugar for added crunch.
Enjoy these delicious scones warm or cool, and keep in mind that they are best enjoyed the same day they are made. Alternatively, you can freeze them up to one month to enjoy later.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What is the best way to make sure my scones are tender?
A: Kneading the dough gently rather than overworking it is key in making sure your scones are tender. You don’t want to overwork the dough – just knead it long enough to bring the ingredients together into a ball.
Q: Can I substitute the blueberries with other ingredients?
A: Sure! You can substitute the blueberries with other ingredients like chocolate chips, diced apricots, diced apples, or even different berries.
Q: How do I store my scones?
A: If you’re enjoying the scones the same day, you can leave them out at room temperature for a few hours. Otherwise, you can store them in an airtight container for up to 5 days, or freeze them for up to one month.