This amazing layered carrot cake packs a flavorful punch, with ingredients that ensure perfect moisture and softness.
How to Make:
- Start by sifting together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt for the cake batter.
- To compliment the flavor of the cake, mix together cinnamon, ground nutmeg, and ground cloves.
- Add 1⅛ cups oil and combine with sugar and sugar to achieve the desired sweetness. Whisk together 4 large eggs and 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract to the mix until well combined. Stir in freshly grated carrots (about 6 medium carrots). For a flavorful finish, blend in pecans or walnuts, plus a ½ cup of raisins, currants, or shredded coconut.
- Empty the batter into two greased 9-inch cake pans and bake for 30-35 minutes at 350°F.
- Once finished, remove from the oven and allow cake layers to cool for 15 minutes.
- Flip onto a wire rack for easy removal and allow to cool completely before assembling.
- To make the cream cheese frosting, mix together softened cream cheese and ½ cup (1 stick) of softened unsalted butter.
- Beat together until smooth, then add 2 cups of sifted powdered sugar in two stages, beating well after each addition.
- Add in 1 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract and continue beating on high speed for a few minutes until frosting is smooth.
- To reach the desired consistency, add more sugar as needed.
- Assemble the cake by adding one layer with the flat side facing up (or, to remove any excess toppling, trim the rounded top with a knife).
- Apply about one third of the frosting to the top of the cake and spread to the edge.
- Add the second layer and spread the remaining frosting to the sides and top of the cake.
- Refrigerate the cake for up to 3 days and bring to room temperature prior to serving.
Q: What type of oil should I use with this recipe?
A: You can use either avocado neutral oil or coconut oil in this recipe. All are equally effective and will provide a great texture and flavor to the cake.
Q: How long can I store the leftover cake?
A: Leftover cake can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or kept in the freezer for up to 2 months. Make sure to bring it to room temperature before serving.
Q: What is the best way to evenly spread the cream cheese frosting?
A: To ensure an even spread, use a spatula to ensure that the frosting reaches the edges of the cake. Additionally, allow ample time for the frosting to firm up before adding the top layer.