This delicious pavlova is a simple yet delightful meringue-based cake that is crisp on the outside and delightfully soft in the center. The unique combination of egg whites, sugar, and cornstarch results in a dessert that is perfect for any special occasion.
To ensure perfect results, follow these easy steps:
- Preheat your oven to 325°F, and then line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Using a mixer bowl fitted with a whisk attachment, whip the egg whites on high speed until soft peaks form (about 30-40 seconds).
- Reduce speed to medium, and then add the sugar, one tablespoon at a time.
- Once all the sugar has been added, increase speed to high and continue to whisk until stiff peaks form and the meringue is glossy.
- Now add the cornstarch, white wine vinegar or lemon juice, salt, and vanilla, either folding in by hand or whisking on low speed.
- Spread the meringue onto the parchment paper, shaping it into a circular shape with the help of the circle you drew earlier.
- Create a border so that the edges are slightly higher than the center.
- Place the meringue in the oven and then reduce the temperature to 230°F.
- Bake for 75-90 minutes, or until the outside appears dry and the inside is creamy in color.
- Once done, turn off the oven, and without removing it, let the meringue cool completely in the oven. It will crack slightly while cooling.
- To make the whipped cream, use a mixer bowl fitted with a whisk attachment to whip the heavy cream with sugar and vanilla, until soft peaks form.
- Spread whipped cream over the cooled meringue and decorate with slices of fresh fruit of your choice.
Recipe Notes: The assembled pavlova should be stored in the refrigerator and should be consumed within 12-24 hours. The meringue will keep in an airtight container at room temperature for a few days.
It’s time to create an unforgettable showstopper with this pavlova recipe. Featuring creamy meringue and luscious fresh fruits, this decadent dessert is easy to make and appears to be complicated. Enjoy the contrast between the golden-brown, crisp meringue and the soft center for a delightful bite!
Frequently Asked Questions:
Q: What is the best temperature to bake this pavlova?
A: You should preheat your oven to 325°F/160°C and then lower the temperature to 230°F/110°C once you have placed your pavlova in the oven. This will help the meringue develop a golden-brown crispiness on the outside and a creamy texture in the center.
Q: When can I cut the pavlova into slices?
A: The pavlova should be cooled completely in the oven before you cut it into slices. If you cut it too soon, the texture of the meringue will be compromised.
Q: What are the best fruits to top my pavlova?
A: Any fresh fruits of your choice will work well. We recommend berries, passion fruit, kiwi, and pineapple.